Eat It!


IMG_5721

Sign at Myakka River State Park, Sarasota, Florida December 2019

After working in the environmental education field for two decades (and being a bit of a word nerd), signs like this really make my skin crawl.

I’m not alone in my reaction. I recently had a chance to visit with two of my former colleagues and we ended up swapping work-related stories: In answer to a question about a mushroom on a nature hike, Jeff replied, “Well, technically, everything is edible. Once.” Which is in a similar vein as one of Julie’s favorite sayings, “The poison is in the dose.” Because even water can kill you, if you drink too much of it.

There is a huge difference between poisonous and venomous: if you bite it and it kills you, that’s poison; if it bites you* and kills you, that’s venom (so yes, you could eat a venomous animal, if you were exceptionally careful, but I don’t recommend it). Then again, you’re dead, what do you care?!

*Or breaks your skin in some other manner.

Categories: Funny Friday

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: